Thursday, August 20, 2009

Here it comes again! NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month! Every November thousands of dreamers create novel drafts, writing 50,000 words in 30 days. I've participated three times and now have three novel drafts to show for it. Unfortunately, I've only been editing one of them. The rest are in electronic folders with webpages, links, notes and other paraphernalia that goes with writing a story.

I had decided not to participate this year because I felt my three novel drafts weren't really getting me anywhere and I should really be editing what I have. However, I saw the new badges and the thrill of writing a high speed novel came back to me. So, yes, I'm doing it again. ::::sigh::::: (soon to be) Four novels drafts.

I am in actual fact getting something from this. I am getting better at writing and better at writing regularly. I have discovered my personal writing pattern and freak out a lot less when I have a zero words day. I also feel confident that if necessary I could, in fact, create a novel draft in 30 days.

Another benefit is that the advent of NaNoWriMo stimulates me to return to edit the first draft and to open up and consider the other drafts. Sometimes I just review my research. The novels are all shiny and bright and wonderful.

I don't know where all this participation and creation of novel drafts is leading. Probably toward the end of life as I know it and the beginning of a new one. I'm always up for that.

Enjoy my previous struggles and celebrations. I hope there's video posting like last year!

No comments: