Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Getting a Professional Critique of My First Novel


Dear Elaine,
Thanks so much for your submission. This note is to confirm that we have received your file along with contact and project information. ...
Thank you  for your confidence in The Editorial Department.  We look forward to working with you.
At long, long, long last I have finally edited the first ten pages of my 2006 NaNoWriMo novel (Cosmic Control: Bronwen's First Age) to a point where I'm willing to have someone critique them professionally. I have tense issues, as in "which tense do I use here?" I tend to edit rather intuitively depending on how the writing feels as I read it. I did not read the pages aloud. Probably should have done that. Everyone recommends that and I'm sure it's good advice.

I have edited way more than the first ten pages. I'm about a third of the way through my, oh, I don't know, probably fifth pass. Still missing a major plot point which is emerging slowly.

I chose The Editorial Department because I liked their book "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers." I liked the clarity of the goals and suggestions and the lovely attitude they have toward stumbling writers. I'm looking forward to their report, no matter what they tell me.

Next up, finishing my 2009 NaNoWriMo novel draft, which is part two of the planned trilogy of Cosmic Control. Much of it is in my head. The rest is all scribbling and bibbling.

No comments: