Friday, November 23, 2012

My Convoluted Novel Writing Process

"Dancing Black"
Time to write the obligatory annual "why is my novel-writing process so crazy" post. Let me tell you what that involves at this point (at 30,000 words) in the novel.
  1. Spend time playing Facebook games, i.e. Solitaire Blitz, Fantasy Kingdoms, etc.
  2. Resolve niggling technical problems that can remain unresolved with minimal discomfort. Today I investigated how to share my computer's wifi internet connection with my iPhone via Bluetooth PAN. Whoops! There goes 30 minutes.
  3. Clean the kitchen.
  4. Write a blog post.
  5. Update my Goodreads lists.
  6. Write 500 words.
  7. Play more Facebook games.
  8. Research random stuff from the book. This is how I discovered that Waffle House is used by FEMA as an indication of the severity of damage after natural disasters. It's called "The Waffle House Index."
  9. Write 620 words.
  10. Have lunch.
  11. Watch a movie or series episode.
  12. Write 120 words.
  13. Create a character sketch using DAZ 3D.
  14. Make holiday art.
  15. Post holiday art to Zazzle.
  16. Despair over ever reaching 50k. Think this might be the year I give up.
  17. Visit the NaNoWriMo forums. 
  18. Write 120 words.
  19. Generate an iTunes Genius playlist.
  20. Post the playlist to my NaNoWriMo profile.
As long as I keep writing I'll eventually get to the point where I can sit down and bang out 1500 or 2000 words again. Until then I do dumb stuff from the list. 

Each year I hope and believe that this year will be different. This will be the year I sit down every day, bang out the words, and then have a normal life. Even if I review blog posts from previous years i miss the whole my process sucks bit and only notice how I kept writing as the days went by. 

I guess that's not such a bad thing.

No comments: