Wednesday, December 15, 2010

TGIO - but I wish it wasn't

click to view my profile
The "Thank God It's Over" party has come and gone. And I am glad it's over but I'm not. For the last two years I have not been glad that NaNoWriMo is over. Yes, I was ready to celebrate reaching 50,000 words in 30 days. However, the story wasn't finished and I wanted to keep on writing. I did, for a time. This year I signed up with National Novel Finishing Month, but it's not the same. I have this dippy little counter to track my lack of writing, er, progress toward reaching my goal. I reckon about 30,000 ought to be enough to finish the story.

Screen capture of live update.
What I miss is the group support – knowing that in my Richmond area other writers are putting their noses down into keyboards and typing like furies to reach a really big goal. I miss the encouraging email from my Municipal Liaison (who also was typing furiously – this year while taking a trip to Italy). I miss the pep talk emails from published authors. I miss the video updates from Tavia et al and the silliness in the forums.

I'm no longer in this with everyone. I'm in this by myself. And, let's face it, if I could have written a 50K novel draft by myself I would have done it without NaNoWriMo. I keep hoping and believing that I will continue to write even after November is gone. That the gleam in my eye will continue to glow. That, this time, I'll remember how wonderful it feels to write regularly – the clear head, improved writing of everything (emails, blog posts, tweets, Facebook status updates), the irrational exuberance that tints my glasses and lights up my light.

Unfortunately all those effects and reasons aren't enough. I need a group. A motivated, silly, insane group with frivolous "winner" banners. Wisdom says I should start one. Hey, did you read the rest of this post? Especially the part about I would have if I could have???
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Working Titles
Cosmic Control: The First Age ( in revision: 22,309 of 70,000 written)
The Pathbreaker Agent (first draft: 56,367 of 80,000 written)
The happy winner page viewable only to those who verify over 50K.

No comments: