Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Making a Textured Sketch from a Digital Photo

Technically, the photo is a virtual one. I made the scene out of primitives and meshes and then "photographed" the rendered image. Still looking for ways to make satisfying landscape art without Bryce. Here's a mixed media sketch one of my landscapes, Bowl of Water.
Bowl of Water (sketched) by Elaine Greywalker
I thought it might be fun to make this appear to be a sketch from life on a another planet. I like the effect, achieved with commercial filters and brushes, with some personal modifications. Heres' the original image.
Bowl of Water by Elaine Greywalker
The effect is not as sketchy as I imagined it would be, particularly from a distance. Close up you can see more texture. Sometimes I wish for a way to blow up the image to about five times the size to make the texture stronger.

I did enjoy the brushes. Nice to get back to a bit of gestural involvement.

No comments: