Thursday, September 5, 2013

My reaction to "The Ocean at the End of the Lane"

... because I can't really call this a review.


The Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm amazed I got through this book. I was deeply frightened and repulsed and yet I read on. I liked the boy with no name and wanted to know what happened to him and Lettie.

The best Neil Gaiman I've read so far. I am not a Sandman fan. I came in with American Gods after reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch with a Barnes & Noble online book club. I didn't particularly care for Anansi Boys, so I may not be the best litmus for a Gaiman fan. However, for the rest of us, this is a well-crafted story with intriguing and original characters, carefully told in a compelling and spooky way. Sort of like "Coraline" as teenager or adult, if you can imagine a story growing up.

No way would I recommend this as a book for children. It deals with adult themes in a manner too deep for most children, i.e, the interrelationship of bereavement and fear.

The story left me sad and a bit weepy but in a good way.

View all my reviews

No comments: