Monday, April 5, 2010

Not Writing a Script

Ever since Script Frenzy began, well almost since then, I have been happily not writing a script. Just yesterday, in fact, I reveled in the joy of not script writing. Whenever I am writing, and a script seems to be the biggest catalyst, the rest of my life goes beautifully by comparison. It's a crazy insanity (uh huh) that I feel so much better when I am not writing a script. But when I write a novel, I am happier when I have written. Even though not writing a novel is also gives me a good feeling. It's like not script writing throws the rest of my life in sharp relief as a real cake walk by comparison. And I guess I get a charge out of defying whatever plan I have made to write.

It's not that I don't know what to write. I have stories in my head all the time. It's just that I prefer to think of them than write them down. If I could make movies just for me, I would. Unfortunately I haven't the patience for that. In the meantime there's not script writing.

Surprisingly, I did sit down this morning and bash out four pages of script. I am, however, far behind the goal for daily output if I am to reach 100 pages by April 30. The nice thing is that this story actually seems promising. I think it could actually make a movie.

I did some research to see if there was some way to write "natively" in the film medium. There isn't. Even graphic novels and comics take their labels from the film industry. It's all adaptation. There is no native film medium. Sort of odd. The closest I can get is to see the movie in my head and try to put that on paper. Scary sometimes how clearly I can see it.

I'm off now for a walk — a break from all this mad production. Maybe I'll come back and write some more, maybe not. After all, it feels so good to not write a script. Maybe I'll get some of those projects done that have been hanging around here for a long, long time.

No comments: